Thursday 5 January 2012

Holy cow!

Sigh.. I still have a lot of things to do. So many assignments to finish, and the due date would be tomorrow. Whoa! I still need to type at least 15 pages to finish my assignment. Holy cow!

Okay. I don't usually use the word "holy" and "cow" together, but here, i'll make an exception, as I am trying to explain to you what interjections are. Interjection is actually a word added to a sentence to convey emotion. It is not grammatically related to any other part of the sentence. To help you understand, let me show you a video.
Yeah, I know that the sound of the Sabre Tooth Tiger is fake, but the video did give you a rough idea on what interjections are, right? Great! I know you will be able to understand easily.
I you'd noticed, I always use interjections in my writings. It makes it a lot more interesting.

Here are some examples of commonly used interjections.

interjectionmeaningexample
ahexpressing pleasure"Ah, that feels good."
expressing realization"Ah, now I understand."
expressing resignation"Ah well, it can't be heped."
expressing surprise"Ah! I've won!"
alasexpressing grief or pity"Alas, she's dead now."
dearexpressing pity"Oh dear! Does it hurt?"
expressing surprise"Dear me! That's a surprise!"
ehasking for repetition"It's hot today." "Eh?" "I said it's hot today."
expressing enquiry"What do you think of that, eh?"
expressing surprise"Eh! Really?"
inviting agreement"Let's go, eh?"
erexpressing hesitation"Lima is the capital of...er...Peru."
hello, hulloexpressing greeting"Hello John. How are you today?"
expressing surprise"Hello! My car's gone!"
heycalling attention"Hey! look at that!"
expressing surprise, joy etc"Hey! What a good idea!"
hiexpressing greeting"Hi! What's new?"
hmmexpressing hesitation, doubt or disagreement"Hmm. I'm not so sure."
oh, oexpressing surprise"Oh! You're here!"
expressing pain"Oh! I've got a toothache."
expressing pleading"Oh, please say 'yes'!"
ouchexpressing pain"Ouch! That hurts!"
uhexpressing hesitation"Uh...I don't know the answer to that."
uh-huhexpressing agreement"Shall we go?" "Uh-huh."
um, ummexpressing hesitation"85 divided by 5 is...um...17."
wellexpressing surprise"Well I never!"
introducing a remark"Well, what did he say?"


Ah! I almost forgot about my assignments! Well, I guess I'll be going now! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment